Friday, March 02, 2012

SD Gundam Review: SD RX-78-2

RX-78-2 is one of the gundams I don't mind buying a lot XD hahaha!! You can never have too many of this guy \m/ He is the grand daddy of all gundams  after all :D

This is my 3rd RX-78-2 kit, my 1st is the HG 1/144 Ver. G30th and the 2nd is the regular HG 1/144. I picked this up because it's very cheap and the best representation of the RX-78-2 in SD form, I don't like the SD ver. G30th because of the color scheme being too pale for me.

I bought this last Wednesday in my favorite hobby store along with a HG 1/144 Hyaku Shiki (I'll build that later if I'm not lazy haha).

Anyway, let's get started :D

Here's the box art, very simple but awesome! It has the G-Generation logo as well (it's a game which I'm also playing XD)


Side of the box, shows the various gimmicks :D 

The manual, has a lot of information about the mobile suit (too bad I can't read japanese -_-)

Here are the runners, you'll get 3 of them, 2 sets of polycaps and one small sticker sheet. It's really resembles the HG 1/144 in terms of color separation :D It has a black color for the weapons instead of the usual gray.

BUILDING TIME!

Here's the parts for the head, quite a simple build. It's awesome that they managed to include an inner frame. For painting, you only need to paint the head vulcans yellow :D

The completed head. Very simple build, adding yellow to the vulcans really completes the look. Foil stickers for the eyes, forehead camera and the back camera. Minor panel lining. 

Parts for the body, nice color separation as well. the beam sabers have ball joints though. Also has an "inner frame".

 

Here's the "inner frame". No painting required, just minor panel lining again.


Head and Body done! so far so good \m/

 

The waist, I can't stress enough how awesome the color separation is in this tiny kit XD Foil sticker for the crotch area, better than nothing I guess.


Main body done!

Parts for the arms, has "inner frame" as well.

Arms done! Painted the hands gray since it came in white and added the "markings" very nice touch :D

The legs, very simple build again, although I wish that they made it more taller XD minor panel lining again.

Main suit done! very simple and cute haha!! He's now my desktop assistant :3

WEAPON TIME!

 
Here you will see the weapons, very nice color separation especially for the shield and the rifle, the tiny yellow part for the scope really made my day hahaha!! Why can't bandai be generous all the time XD *cough-gundam seed kits suck-cough* hahaha!! I don't mind getting a "white toothpick" A.K.A. white beam saber because I'm not gonna use it anyway... I wish they threw in a beam effect part instead XD

 
He also comes with a core fighter :D It's kinda nice that its detailed because you get a compact and open up version. You also get the booster attachment for it :D I'm not gonna paint this because it's to small and I don't have the space to display it haha!! but it's there when you need it XD

SIZE COMPARISON TIME!

Size comparison against my other RX-78-2's :D it's like they had a son @_@

Size comparison against my SD God Gundam, he's small since he has stubby legs hahaha!

My other SD kits :D I also have an SD Stargazer but I hid him away because he takes too much space XD but yeah he's an awesome kit as well, I just don't have enough space. THE RX-78-2 fits perfectly here hahaha!!  This is also where I'm gonna put my RX-78-2 for now :D

POSING TIME!

Just like every RX-78-2, you can store the shield on his back :D

The opening parts gimmick, love that inner frame XD


I really love how detailed the rifle and bazooka are, very nice for something so small :D

Verdict:

Detail: 10/10 - Very nice detail overall especially the inner frame, despite it's very compact size, they managed to get all the necessary details in place.

Articulation: 9/10 - It's almost perfect, but the yeah, it's kinda hard to position some of the parts at times but set that aside it's pretty decent. The stubby feet can be hard to pose at times since you only have so much space to work with. For the arms, can't complain much.

Accessories: 10/10 - You get everything you need. Despite lacking the Beam javelin and the Gundam Hammer, with what they give can be enough to satisfy you. Besides, I have the gundam hammer with my HG 1/1/44 Ver. G30th anyway XD For the beam javelin.. I need to get the MG 1/100 ver. 2.0 for that hahaha!! I might just get that next :3 Very nice representation for all the weapons, except for the beam saber.. haha!! But what can you do, it's an SD kit... Bandai wants you to paint it :3

Parts: 10/10 - Everything has a solid connection, no loose parts and no bad nubs! Adding the very nice color separation, everything looks like how it should. 

Conclusion: 10/10 - Just look at it, how can you not love it? hahaha!! Compared to the Ver. G30th, this gets my attention overall. Minimal painting required and detailing but you get one fantastic figure once you finish it. Very worth picking up for 600 yen (P300 or $5) and come on... you can never have too many RX-78-2's haha!! You won't regret picking this guy up!


I saved this pic for last haha!! I always do the "Final shot" pose with all my RX-78-2's \m/











No comments:

Post a Comment